Monday, December 15, 2008

MERRY CHRISTMAS- MY DAYS!

I grew up on the precious memories of a warm rainy Christmas in Guyana where mommy's cooking of pepperpot and baking of back cake and friends partying all night Christmas Eve sticks to my happy face like a Santa tattoo! In those days my going to Sunday school and being left with my black catholic neighbors was no mere prank-although it was sheer fun- maybe it was for exposure to interfaith in a more experienced way than a philosophy- I still rememeber the music chair at the kids chirstmas party and yes we made our own masqurade bands going aroung the hood receiving money and plenty sweet mouth to eat!

Jesus I learnt later was really the baby whose birth day is being celebrated and leven ater that Muslims believe in Esa the son of Virgin Mary with deep love and respect. I wish we could make the world understand that Jesus is not the source of hatred and religion is not the source of violence- if we could only celebrate again- this world will be better! Oh how those days were filled with family and friends- sharing and enjoying!

That's why I have decided since last year to donate our EidulAzha meat donations to the Yonge Street mission, Toronto, since I saw the face of a needy man being advertised in the newspaper by the mission seeking a Christmas gift for the needy. Merry Christmas! oh I was at my kids school concert and they mushed all the hoildays of December into a holiday of lights concert- man what hapnedd to good old christmas concert? Is this PC tinge going too far?!

Happy Holidays

No comments: